- Total recipe cost | R 80.38
- Servings | 8
- Portion cost | R 10.05
This cashew crema works in my house as sour cream – for anything Mexican or even flammkuchen. But, I’ve also been known to drizzle it on salads or falafel.
So, yeah, it’s not as cheap as my other recipes, but it’s so darn useful that I had to share.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, your best bet is to soak your cashews for several hours, then whiz it all up with a regular blender or food processor.
- Or, boil the cashews for about 10 minutes, then blend. It will take longer to cool, however.
- Feel free to add a few fresh herbs or a large garlic clove to the mix to change up the flavour.
How to make this vegan recipe even cheaper
- Cashews are expensive. There’s not much I can do about that. If you can find them any cheaper, grab em. All the vegans I know can make use of cashews at any time.
- You can shave a chunk off the total cost by skipping the nutritional yeast (“nooch”), but if you have it around, I feel it really adds to the flavour.
- Add a little sugar rather than maple syrup – or, if you’re not worried about honey, use that to save a few rand.
- By cutting the nooch (completely) and substituting sugar, you’ll bring the cost of the recipe to R 69.04. And, sometimes, even a little savings can go a long way.