- Total recipe cost | R 31.06
- Servings | 4
- Portion cost | R 7.77
Yes, vegans like mayo-laden toasted sandwiches too. And, while we wait for more shops to stock them, it’s time to learn how to make your own.
You might even like the flavours and price so much that you never need to turn to store-bought options. You know, when they’re available.
- Keep in mind that dried chickpeas swell to about 3 times their size when cooked. If you want a little more or less, just remember the rule of 3.
- If you want the cruelty-free version of a tuna mayo, add a small amount of seaweed to the mix. If you’re after more of a chicken mayo vibe, cut the capers and add a little chick-flavoured stock powder with a sprinkling of Italian herbs.
- When you’ve got celery or pickles in the house, they make excellent additions or substitutions in this vegan chickpea mayo recipe.
How to make chickpea mayo even cheaper
- The obvious way to cut costs in this vegan recipe is to substitute some basic store-bought bread for that lovely sourdough. This will bring your recipe cost down to R22.06. Each sandwich will run you R5.52
- Or, if you can’t bear pre-sliced bread, make your own to cut a few Rand.
- You can, of course, cut down on ingredients like mustard, parsley and capers for a small savings.